It the most magical time of the year for yarn lovers in Florida. Spring means more than just beautiful weather, its Yarn Crawl Season!
What’s a Yarn Crawl, you say? Prepare to be excited! It’s a week to 10-day local yarn shop extravaganza, featuring specials, sales, activities, indie dyer trunk shows and extended shopping hours. A group of shops participate, often offering an incentive for visiting all the participating shops. Completing the crawl can be a little challenging, but here are some expert tips to help you make your yarn crawl successful:
We talked to Kristy Glass of the Kristy Glass Knits channel on YouTube and she suggests:
• Don’t forget your water and snacks!
• Research each shop to see what they are doing, i.e., yarn crawl specials
• Audit your stash so you buy with purpose
Susan Reitmeyer, President of the Bay Area Knitting Guild recommends:
• Make a plan
• Group your stores together to get as many visits in an area as you can
Great advice! As an avid yarn collector myself, I can say that in the excitement of yarn crawls past, I have often purchased just one hank of beautiful yarn. Then it sits in my stash unused because I don’t have enough for a project. This year, I am looking at my Ravelry queue of projects, considering what I already have in my stash and planning my purchases ahead of time so I make instead of just stash.
Local Florida Upcoming Yarn Crawls and Events:
Bay Area Knitting Guild: The Bay Area Knitting Guild (www.bayareakg.com) hosts their Yarn Crawl each February in the greater Tampa Bay Area. This year’s crawl features 9 yarn shops across 5 counties from February 21st through March 1st. While the crawl is open to the public, members receive special discounts and those visiting all the shops can enter their stamped passport for a chance to win the grand prize drawing featuring hundreds of dollars of beautiful yarns and notions from shops on the crawl.
Shops in the 2020 BAKG Yarn Crawl are:
1. A Good Yarn -Sarasota (Trunk shows: 2/22-Cadet, 2/29-Shibui, Custom colorway from Kittybea
2. Needlefish Yarns – Venice (Trunk show: Emma’s Yarn)
3. Bit O Yarn – Englewood
4. Fab Fiber – Gulfport
5. Stash-A Place for Yarn -St Petersburg (Trunk Show: 2/29-Olive and Two Ewes)
6. Criativity Epic Yarns – Largo (Trunk Show: Berroco)
7. Fiber Art Gallery – Odessa
8. Stash Tampa – Tampa
9. Four Purls – Winter Haven (Trunk shows: Berroco, 2/21-Heddle Loom)
Orange Blossom Yarn Crawl: Mark your calendar for March 6th through March 14th for the 7th Annual Orange Blossom Yarn Crawl, in Central Florida. This year’s crawl features 6 yarn shops across 4 counties. A passport can be obtained on the crawl’s website: www.orangeblossomyarncrawl.com/passport/. Each of the shops on the crawl will have a drawing for a prize basket. Crawlers with completed passports with stamps from all the yarn shops can enter to win a grand prize. Shops in the 2020 Orange Blossom Yarn Crawl are:
1. KNIT! – Longwood
2. Knit and Stitch -Cocoa
3. The Black Sheep – Orlando
4. The Knitty Gritty – Vero Beach
5. She Sells Yarn and More – Ormond Beach
6. Four Purls -Winter Haven:(trunk show:3/8-Fat Bunny Yarn, and an exclusive colorway by Emma’s Yarn)
Yarn Lounge Lakeland: Yarn Lounge brings the Yarn Party to Yard on Mass in Lakeland on March 7th. Featuring fabulous fiber vendors, regular giveaways and big fun for knitters, crocheters, spinners, weavers and friends. Yarn winding for a donation for Lake Wales Care Center will take place during the event. Free and deluxe tickets are available on Eventbrite.com. Tickets aren’t required but will enter you into the giveaway drawings. See www.yarnloungeco.com for details.
Vendors for Yarn Lounge Lakeland are:
• The Yarn and Us
• The Traveling Yarn Yogi
• Fairway Fibers
• Olive and Two Ewe Studios
The Yard on Mass offers food trucks, a tap room with A/C, some shaded seating outside and plenty of room for you to set up your own beach chair.
As we all know, Fiber Friends are the Best Friends, so get yours together and road trip out to these awesome yarn shops for great shopping, special events and don’t forget your project. Enjoy!